Do you feel stressed out a lot? Well, you aren’t alone. A lot of people deal with stress at home, at work, in their relationships, and just in their day-to-day lives. It’s part of being human, and stress is really unavoidable. But you don’t have to let your stress get to you, and you don’t have to feel like you are constantly out of control. Instead, you can take steps to avoid stressing out so that you can maintain a sense of balance and control.
Check out the information below, which includes tips on how to avoid stressing out so you can be happier and healthier.
Take Stress Seriously
Stress might be a part of daily human life, but that certainly does not mean that you should take it lightly. Instead, it is important to be aware of the many negative effects of always feeling stressed out.
Stress has a variety of negative effects on your body, so you might end up experiencing the following symptoms if you don’t take steps to avoid stressing out:
- Muscle pain or tension
- Changes in your sex drive
- Chest pain
- Sleep troubles
- Stomach pain
Also, stress can even take its toll on your mental health:
- You might experience changes in your mood, such as sadness, depression, anger, irritability, restlessness, and anxiety. You might also end up feeling overwhelmed, or you might experience a lack of focus or motivation.
- Your behavior might change too, and you might be less motivated to exercise often, or you might turn to using and abusing tobacco, alcohol, or drugs. You might also experience outbursts of anger, you might socially withdraw, or you might undereat or overeat because of your high stress level.
Pregnant Women Should Also Avoid Stressing Out
According to PBS, pregnant mothers really need to understand that their stress level may have a negative impact on their developing baby. Being pregnant can be a stressful period for some women, and the stress of relationships and work can make it even worse.
To do your best to help your baby develop perfectly, reducing your stress level is wise, and you can do so by trying out the following strategies:
- Figure out what is causing your stress, and then take steps to limit exposure to those stressors or avoid them altogether.
- Make sure you eat a healthy, balanced diet that nourishes your body so that your developing baby can get the nutrition he or she needs.
- Exercise that is appropriate for you, based on where you are in your pregnancy, can help you release negative emotions, reduce cortisol levels, and improve your mood.
- Resting enough is also beneficial, as stress can worsen if you are feeling mentally and physically drained all the time.
To Avoid Stressing Out, Figure Out Your Triggers and Reactions
Stress is inevitable. However, the way you control the stress and the realization of your control alone will be the fundamentals of which you can build your stress relieving empire and avoid stressing out. The process begins with self-analysis, reflecting on your habits, attitude, and outside factors.
It can be helpful to start journaling, recording your feelings each night of the stress, the cause, what you did to make yourself feel better, and how you reacted. It is important to be completely honest with yourself.
Begin by identifying, what the cause of your stress is. Be sure to really give this some thought. Sometimes we have stress in places we least expect. Then the attitude you have towards your stress is a big factor. Maybe you blame your co workers for your stress. When actually if you were communicating progress being made up to the deadline, everyone may actually be on the same page. Or maybe you do not take enough time off. You tell yourself you will take a vacation when things settle down or whatever the case may be. Either way, make sure to put your analysis in your journal. You have to except some of the blame of your stress if you want to avoid stressing out.
Identify the Bad Habits That You’re Using to Cope with Stress
Now think about the bad habits that you may believe are helping you cope with stress, but actually are hurting you in the end. Some of those things also happen to be a danger to your health. It is suggested that you actually work on these problems first. They could be the initial cause of alot of your stress anyway.
Some of those bad things include:
- Drinking too much
- Overeating or undereating
- Watching too much TV
- Withdrawing from friends and family
- Using medication or drugs
- Sleeping too much
- Filling up every minute of the day to avoid confrontation or problems
- Taking your stress out on others-angry outbursts, physical violence, verbal abuse
Avoid Stressing Out with These Guidelines
Ways to avoid stress include:
- Avoiding the triggers of stress
- Finding a way to adapt to the stress
- Change the stressor
- Or acceptance
The best way to avoid the stress trigger is to learn. Learn how to say no and do not take on too much. Also, avoid people who may make you more stressed. You can also learn to control the environment you are in by avoiding certain situations that you know set you off. MOST of all, learn to steer clear of heated topics like religion, politics, or often argued over subjects. Eliminate unnecessary things off your to-do list, analyze your schedule, responsibility, and daily tasks. Keep the must, eliminate or drop the not truly necessary to the bottom of the list.
Try to change your outlook, spin everything into a more positive outlook. Look at the big picture, the end result, change your standards, focus on the positive. Ask yourself, “Is this really worth getting upset over?”. If at all possible focus your time and energy on tackling some of your to-do list. Also, think about all the positive things you contribute and the gifts you bring.
Make sure that you are expressing yourself, stand your ground, and be assertive. Be willing to compromise and realize that with compromise you have a better chance of finding some common ground. Finding a solution that will make everyone happy is key. Manage your time better, as poor planning and time management can cause a lot of stress. Make sure you plan ahead and do not overbook yourself.
Avoid Stressing Out: A Summary
Clearly you can tell that with some thought, planning, and kicking a couple bad habits you can prevent stress before it even begins. Keeping a record and a stress journal can be extremely beneficial not only for your stress management but also for keeping yourself in check. Reflection is the way to self-improve in general and recognizing is the biggest step. Keep in mind when dealing with stress to either avoid stress, adapt your perspective, change your approach, or accept. Those are the ways to avoid stressing out, and make your life more enjoyable.